Sunday 18 April 2010

My Wee Island


I thought that today I would tell you a wee bit more about where I live and what I can do here.


My wee island, called Graemsay, is in Orkney and it sits between Stromness and the island of Hoy in Scapa Flow. It is a very small island and measures just about two miles long and a mile wide. There are only about twenty five people living here and most of them are farmers with lots of ginormous sheeps and even ginormouser cows, and in the summer there are lots of baby sheeps and baby cows in the fields. I think I would like to play with the babies even though they are much bigger than me, but I would only go over to them if the mummys weren't there.


There are lots of lovely places on the island and a super duper beach where my MH went swimming one day, but I think she needs to wait until somebody heats up the sea before she does it again. There are also two lighthouses on my island--a high one and a low one--and these help the ships when it is dark or the driver doesn't know the way.


My house is up quite high on the island and looks down on the low lighthouse and into Stromness harbour, so I can watch all the boats coming and going and there are a lot of these. The huge Northlink ferry passes my window and so do the fishing boats and the boats carrying all the divers, so in the summer there is a lot for me to watch.


I have quite a big garden which is all grass and some plants that I can hide in, and no matter where I am in my garden, I can see the sea, and if I go out of the door and onto the grass I can sometimes see the big oil tankers at Flotta, although they don't look too big 'cos they are quite far away.


The island has lots of fields too so there are lots of hunting places for a fearless and adorable kitten like me and I have been going out a wee bit further every day to see what else is out there in my big wide world.


There are some other cats on the island too, and some are farm cats and sleep in the barns, but some are spoiled like me and are house cats who go out to play a lot but come inside too, 'cos our humans need to be fussed over sometimes. And because there are lots of fields, this means that there are lots of mouses to chase, but I haven't seen one yet. I have seen lots of birdies--big ones and little ones, but they are up too high for me to talk to them, so I shall wait until they are sitting on my grass and then I shall sidle up to them and give them a wee surprise.


As well as the fields and all the farm animals, there are some children on my island and they have promised to come and see me and I know they will adore me, so I am looking forward to them fussing over me and playing with me. There will be lots of places that we can go together and lots of adventures that we can share, so it will be really good fun.


Today's picture is much the same as yesterday's but you can see the sea in it so you will know what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment